School Culture?

What is important when it comes to school culture?

That's a big question--a question with multiple answers.

I have been teaching for a long time.  I've observed great teaching and extraordinary efforts. I am humbled by the talents and strengths that the students, parents, community members, administrators and educators in my system exemplify each and every day, and I continue to strive to include those strengths in my work as I facilitate learning events for and with students.

As I think about a strong school culture, I identify the following attributes:
  • Students First: A culture that strives to respond to student needs in responsive, caring and creative ways.
  • Learning Community: Learning is the goal and mission.
  • Respect: Students, educators and administrators treat each other with care and respect.
  • Recognizes and Employs Talents: A culture that doesn't expect all people to be all things, but instead looks for, notices and employs the strengths community members bring to the school.
  • Inspired: An environment and program that inspire a love of learning and engagement.
  • Communication Systems: Efficient, regular communication systems that keep the community informed, and leave real time for meaningful, targeted debates, discussions and voice.
  • Streamlined: A school that does a lot, but not too much.  Prioritization and focus.
  • Healthy: An environment that embraces healthy food, schedules and activity.
  • Celebrations/Traditions: A system that regularly celebrates learning and engages in valued traditions.
I wonder what my colleagues would list as they think about an ideal school culture?  What would you include?  What have I missed or forgotten?

I am also wondering how I can alter my work each day to better reflect the values I list above.  School culture matters, and school culture also leaves a lasting mark on the families, students, administrators and educators who experience that culture each day.
You have read this article with the title School Culture?. You can bookmark this page URL http://the-bookself.blogspot.com/2012/04/school-culture.html. Thanks!

No comment for "School Culture?"

Post a Comment